Friday, August 10, 2007

People give up far too easily and work against their own best interests

I was involved in a discussion on a local community forum about a large utility company that was bullying and exploiting a number of people, some of whom were elderly. I restated that I had a service that fought on behalf of people who were too worn down or timid to fight for justice for themselves, and I was told that if I really cared I would offer my services for free and take a minimum fee once I won everyone's money back for them. They think I should work full-time for several months on their behalf, and then get $20 for my effort once I'm successful. I don't think so. I'm not a Fairy Godmother and I haven't taken a Vow of Poverty.

There are other options that would work for both of us.... if they would just take the time to look at my web site. If my "neighbors" were smart they would band together, collect their documentation, pool their money, and come to me with an offer: X dollars to represent them as a bunch. They could also click on the payment page on my web site and see that I offer multiple ways to pay me that are a little unconventional They can pay me in gift cards, postage stamps, Canadian Tire money, and even items on my wishlist that they may have sitting unused in their garage or a closet. Got a digital camera? Pay me with that. Good at sign painting? I'll need lettering on the sides of my van. Make me an offer; I might accept.

Yesterday I was purchasing cans of cat food, and remembered I had a $5 gift certificate from completing a survey, so I used it and my out-of-pocket cost was $.82. The cashier said hardly anyone cashes in his coupon. Hey, send them all to me!

I have offered a dozen or so people a free listing on my online speaker directory. Only 2 people have taken advantage of my offer, and both have provided only the most basic info to promote them as a speaker. The others have missed my deadline for responding. Right now the value is only $49 a year, but in a few weeks the value will be $695. They may regret the missed opportunity.

Here's another missed opportunity..... Every day someone wants me to provide advice or services to them but they say they can't afford to pay me. So every year I hold an essay contest to give away $500 or $1000 worth of my services and books and none of these complainers enters the contest. There's no fee, just a short essay. And even the person I select as the winner doesn't bother to collect the entire prize or even say thank you. What's with that?

My point? Stop saying no to opportunities that are right in front of you, and make some effort.