Monday, August 13, 2007

Are you willing to barter with me for a place to park overnight when I'm on tour?

Originally I was planning to barter an hour of my time doing household chores, but I have re-thought this. The value of a place to park overnight plus some electricity, water, and Internet connection will probably not exceed $10. In order to generate enough income to build a retirement fund I can live on, while I am still able, I need to utilize my income-generating time effectively. My professional rate as a consultant is more than $400 an hour, so to give up that time and potential income to do household chores works against my best interests.

But I am happy to offer an e-book or two of a value to be negotiated - depending on what a family/homeowner is willing to offer in return. I can also offer cash as payment if a book is not desired.

Which of these would you be willing to provide if I'm in your area?

1. Safe place to park in your driveway or parking lot for 24 hours or more.
2. Safe place to park on vacant land for several nights where I can set up a tent, hammock, 12 x 14 screened gazebo, 9 x 9 pavillion for shade so we don't have to stay in a 90 degree van.
3. Connection to electricity to recharge laptop and cell phone, to cook, and have air conditioning or heat.
4. Intenet connection: wireless, cable, dialup?
5. Freezing freezer packs to keep food chilled.
6. Permission to dump waste, garbage.
7. A private, hot shower.
8. Place to cook a meal outside of the van.

Which book or books or services would you want in exchange?

I'm open to your offer at any time, now or later. I'm not looking for a handout; I'm looking for quiet, safe places where I can write and work quietly and I will pay something of value for the privilege. We can finalize the terms of our agreement just prior to my arriving in your town.

Andrea