Monday, August 27, 2007

Handy Ande at work

Fixed small things today (on my own):
1. Installed a new toilet handle in the half-bath, after removing the broken one,
2. Removed two unnecessary pieces on the dishwasher that were keeping the cord and two hoses from pulling out and retracting properly,
3. Bought a connector for the dishwasher hose to connect the faucet as the "handyman" recommended, which wasn't needed as the two connected fine with out it. That was a waste of $3.
4. Bought a sink drain basket to replace the missing one. (8 bucks!)
5. Replaced the garbage can which sits under the sink on a hinge so that when the door is opened the can swings out,
6. Bought caulking for the sink that didn't get put down before the sink was put back in.

Small things getting crossed off my list. Feels good. Sometimes I look at the work done by handy men and wonder why people continue to hire them, but not me. For the same amount of money I do a more careful job, correct any mistakes I make, and clean up my mess. I think I will create a checklist for feedback for Handy Ande clients.

Next I must get a proper wrench so I can undo the work the handy man did yesterday. I need to fix the kink in the copper pipe, untangle the hose to the spray attachment so it extends as far as it is meant to, and take out the sink to clean the edge properly and caulk it, putting it back in so the sink fits snugly not rocking as it does now.

Tonight I get to find out whether the second hand dishwasher I bought last spring will actually work.

Postcript: Yes, the dishwasher works. Ah, freedom from hand washing dishes!