Sunday, August 26, 2007

The handy woman hires a handyman



I finally have the new faucet installed. I've been procrastinating on this for months. But I met a man in the parking lot today who is staying with my former next-door-neighbors on the 9th floor. And after a long conversation we agreed he would do it. He wants to get handyman jobs and I had enough cash on hand on a Sunday morning to have him do it. No more water dripping in the sink and leaking under the sink, no more sprays that got water where it shouldn't, and no more having to turn the shut-off valve on and off when I wanted hot water to wash the dishes. He got it done in less than an hour. This is so wonderful.... I'm revelling in the good feeling.

I dashed out to move my van because I was stuck in a parking spot for 24 hours, thanks to some young people moving in who had their truck parked 6 feet away from the building, into the fire lane. They refused to move the truck, even though two of them were just standing around and one was on his cell phone. When I tried to pass their U-Hall van with my cargo van I would have broken off their driver side mirror and my passenger side mirror. I couldn't back up the entire way around the building so I parked it across from the loading dock and grabbed my bicycle so I could get to my vet's before they closed. When I returned there were cars on either side of me. When I backed up I hit the loading dock just as I cleared the two cars. I couldn't turn; I could go only forward or back! So I waited until one car left today so I could make a series of backups and forward efforts using the empty spot beside me. I finally got out and parked up on the visitor parking ramp. Whew!

Why do young people have this sense of entitlement that they can inconvenience people without considering the effect they have on others? I'd like to promote a whole "new" philosophy called The Golden Rule. Do you think it might catch on?