Monday, September 10, 2007

Finally updating my web sites; click this to see sample

Since my iMac crashed, I've been finding it difficult to update web pages which were originally done with Adobe Pagemill 3.0. My new-ish MacBook has an OS that won't open Pagemill pages. I have an older G3 that will open Pagemill pages but isn't connected to the Internet. Having to keep transfering floppies on my one floppy drive to upload pages is a pain, and the files open on a huge screen that is just too big to deal with. I'm now used to working with tighter pages.... working with older double size pages is so awkward. I've been so frustrated by the whole mess that I had to find a solution.

Well, then I downloaded the demo for Dreamweaver which does open Pagemill pages but the updated pages have too much blank space on the page and they look so messy. The 30 day demo was nearing an end and I couldn't see paying US $400 for a program that was daunting and probably meant for programmers. So I did some scouting and found RapidWeaver for the Mac, made in Great Britain. I tried 3 pages and bought the program for $49. There are theme templates and you just drag and drop the text and images into the page. I like it and have chosen 4 themes for my 4 web sites. Very plain and simple, but I'm happy with the look. I just copy and paste text from the browser and then reformat, adding the links. I still want to figure out how to add PayPal payment buttons so I can generate income again, but I'm feeling victorious about my accomplishment.

AndreaReynolds.com (blue) has 4 pages up now, with a few hundred to go, and I hope to have it completed by October 15. I've been working on CommissionFreeSpeakers (red) and hope to have the whole site uploaded and launched by Sept. 15. HandyAnde.com will be orange and completed maybe October 30. CrisisBrainstorm.com will be completed, I hope, by November 1. Don't you think AndreaReynolds.com is starting to look better?