Thursday, July 19, 2007

My home is a mess

Great way to start a blog, by confessing my life is temporariy chaotic, eh? (I rarely say "eh?", but it fits here.) The truth is I'm a pretty organized person - I have a degree in home economics from Kent State University - but I have projects on the go that are waiting to be finished. At my age, if I put the necessary materials away, I'll forget where they are and then have to waste hours looking for them and gathering them all again.

For example, I have a pile of while metal pipes and a piece of green canvas that will make a nice gazebo awning to create shade for Casper (he's a cat) and I when we have a place to park the van. The awning, a gift through Freecycle, is waiting for a FedEx delivery so I can figure out how to put the metal poles together. No instructions. I washed the awning of dried grass clippings, cleaned the duct tape residue off the poles and discovered one of the corner brackets is missing. Without it, my 4 cornered awning will look like a broken umbrella. So I found the manufacturer who is sending me the bracket and a replacement for one of the base pieces that the poles fit into. (Ah, that reminds me: I need to pick up some stakes to hold the base plates in place.) As soon as I receive the delivery, I will erect the awning in my living room and draw myself a diagram of the proper assembly insructions. I'd rather do it now than when I am on the road.

In other parts of the house I have piles of other projects: everything I need to finish painting the balcony walls, everything to paint the kitchen, everything I need to replace the kitchen sink faucet. Etc.

The good news is I have To Do lists that I'm sticking to, and I'm getting things done that I've been putting off. One of the things I need to do before leaving Canada is getting all my medical tests done - free, under Ontario's health care plan - for a clean bill of health. Yesterday I booked a mammogram and bone mineral density test, confirmed a full medical exam with one doctor and confirmed another appointment with my gynecologist to discuss the pros and cons of HRT. Then I researched bus and train schedules to Toronto for my July 30 appointment. I'm proud of myself, considering how overwhelmed I feel.